OK, so you’re on Twitter. How do you increase your visibility, searchability and connection? One great way is with hashtags. Here are some quick tips to help you #GetStarted.
What is a Hashtag?
“The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.” (Source: Twitter) The hashtag is a valuable twitter tool that allows ‘tweeps’ to share and tag information with ease.
Incorrect use of a hashtag in a tweet:
- @anonymous #i #am #going #to #the #gym #today
When using a hashtag:
- You can be broad: Craving yogurt & coffee this morning. #breakfast
- You can be specific: Watching the #xgames and #shawnwhite is killing it.
Utilize the hashtag to:
- Join a scheduled twitter conversation or blog an event (examples: #pr20 or #blogher11)
- Search tweets sharing a common topic (example #socialmedia)
- Contribute insights or content about a topic (example #advertising)
~ Lindsey Leifken, Account Coordinator, The S3 Agency (@queenofkudos)