Social Media Advertising – TiKTok
5 Minute Read:
Social platforms come and go, but not all of them are able to plant their feet down and become a staple in our phones. Well, I’ve been waiting to see what would happen with the increasingly popular TikTok app (and the advertising platform they created), and I have to say that I am not disappointed. TikTok is bringing a whole new definition to Social media advertising. Do you guys remember Vine (RIP)? Well, think of TikTok as Vine 3.0. Yes “3.0” and not “2.0” because they took it even further than Vine could’ve ever imagined.
What is TikTok?
Originating in China, TikTok has strategically made its way into the U.S. market place by purchasing the popular Musical.ly app and converting its 100 million active users into TikTok users. TikTok is video streaming app that is filling the void for the Vine fanatics. For instance, users can create and watch 15 second long vertical videos, usually set to music, or using audio clips from other users videos. Therfore, most users base their videos off comedy skits, hashtag challenges, or just reenacting other popular videos.
So why TikTok?
Social media advertising continues to evolve, and we evolve with it. Depending on who you are, you probably use these platforms differently than most people. According to Global Index “As social networks have evolved into multi-media platforms, digital consumers are now as likely to use them for keeping up with the news as to stay in touch with friends. 16- 24 year olds show slightly different preferences; their most cited motivations for using social media are to fill up spare time and find funny or entertaining content.”
Similarly, like Vine, TikTok is all about creativity. With TikTok’s tech helping users find creativity and authentic entertainment. As a result, their users are mostly Gen Z, with almost half of their users (41%) being between the ages of 16 and 24. So, as Gen Z continues to change the market, what are you doing to change with it?
What Does TikTok Advertising Look Like?
Well, there are a few different ways to advertise on TikTok as of now (May 2019), so Let’s break it down with the help of Adweek.
- In-feed ads: Brands can create in-feed video ads that will show up in the users feed between other user generated posts
- Branded Hashtag Challenges: Brands can create a hashtag challenge that can be easily found in the discover section. The hashtag challenge creates a great environment for other creators to interact with the brand.
- Brand Takeover Ads: When opening the TikTok app, an ad will take over the screen before the users get through to the platform.
- Influencers: Find an influencer that really aligns with your brand. They are always a great way to spread your message to a similar, or new demographic.
- Branded Lenses: Like Snapchat and Facebook, TikTok will soon release a lenses feature that allows users to film themselves in a 2D, 3D, or AR branded lense.
6 TikTok Facts to Motivate You
Here are some great facts brought to you by the Influencer Marketing Hub:
- Within TikTok’s first year, it had reached 1 million views per day.
- TikTok has been installed on devices 800 million times.
- 41% of TikTok users are between the ages of 16 and 24.
- TikTok enjoyed a 275% increase in in-app spending from Oct. 2017 to Oct. 2018.
- 42% of all TikTok revenue comes from the USA.
- Customers have spent $50 million on TikTok purchases.
Give TikTok a Try, You Might Be Surprised
When TikTok came across my eyes, I didn’t know what to expect. However, after creating my profile and exploring this interesting UI, I found myself wanting to learn more. What do people like to watch? How does one use someones elses audio clip in a video? All questions that needed answers.
Not only did I enjoy playing around with all of TikTok features, but exploring the creativity that was on the app was astounding. This app had me ENGAGED for 2 hours. I rarely spend that much time on any social platform, so that says something about the type of content that is published.
So, after cramming all this information into your head, what’s your next move going to be? Above all, I encourage you to download the app and just start playing around. Finally, if you think the app is for you and your brand, give advertising a try. Maybe you decide to move forward with TikTok advertising to see what the engagement and reach is like. Need help with social media advertising? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’ll be able to help you out.